Friday, September 16, 2011

Longsuffering, and the Golden Rule


I cannot think of any other Biblical character with as much longsuffering as Job.  Job lost his health, his wealth, his family but still maintained his faith in God and did so in a admirable way.

Job 27:3-6 As long as my breath is in me, and the breath of God in my nostrils, my lips will not speak wickedness, nor my tongue utter deceit.  Far be it from me that I should say you are right; till I die I will not put away my integrity from me.  My righteousness I hold fast, and will not let it go; my heart shall not reproach me as long as I live. 

Longsuffering is love on trial. It enables you to forbear and forgive others.   I don’t mean to become a doormat, but there are times in all of our lives when our friendships and other relationships, even our marriages are on trial and we must be longsuffering.  It’s being patient, mild, gentle and constant in all circumstances.  Being longsuffering is not just being patient in waiting, but how we act while we are waiting.

I do not like to wait – I don’t like to wait on people, or in doctor’s offices, but I know that as a Christian I need to be careful in how I behave while I am waiting.  You can be assertive if needed, but remember to do so in a Christ-like manner.

James 1:4 But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment