Thursday, September 22, 2011

Be Happy


When my husband and I were dating, the song on the radio was "Don't Worry, Be Happy".  I can never hear that song without thinking back to such a happy time in our lives and it always makes me smile!

I heard football coach Lou Holtz say that happiness was just having a bad memory, when you can’t remember what happened yesterday, you‘re happy today!  Maybe that’s right!  I can forget those things that can make me sad and just be happy!

Matthew 5:3-10 is the Beatitudes.  Let's replace the word blessed with the word happy. 

Happy are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Happy are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

Happy are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

Happy are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

Happy are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.

Happy are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

Happy are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Happy are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Are these beatitudes talking about you? 


Happiness is a path, not a destination.  We’re not going to just wake up one day and all of a sudden be happy …  but we need to be happy on our journey.  Spreading happiness to others will make that journey sweeter.  Smile at others; let them see joy in your face!  We want to be happy so others around us will be happy as well – be happy because it’s contagious!

Be careful with what we surround ourselves with – what we listen to can affect our happiness, and sometimes we allow ourselves to be persuaded by the media.  I wonder if we hadn’t listened to what “they say” if we would be in the circumstances we are in now?  A friend of mine goes on and on about the economy.  I know things are tough, but if I choose to focus on that, then the negativity is going to drain my joy.  I can choose who I listen to and who I do not listen to - in person, on television, on the radio.  People may say I live in a bubble, but at least I'm happy there.

Here’s a verse I just found the other day – Psalm 68:19 Blessed be the Lord, Who daily loads us with benefits, the God of our salvation!  How can we not be happy when we remember that daily, God is loading us with benefits?  God tells us that His yoke is easy, His burden is light - He is loading us daily with benefits and that makes me happy.  I hope it does you too.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment