Tuesday, August 30, 2011

9 ways in which we can make the Golden Rule visible in our lives.

I thought we'd cover one or two a day ... so look forward to the rest of them coming soon!

  1. First and foremost, we must keep God’s commandments
Psalm 19:7-11
“The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; the statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.  More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.”

I John 5:3
"For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments.  And His commandments are not burdensome."

Ecc. 12:13, 14
"Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man’s all.  For God will bring every work into judgment, including every secret thing, whether good or evil."
                                                   
Our hearts must be right, our lives must be right and we need to be following God’s words in all that we do.  If we do not keep the commandments, our lives and good works will be in vain.

With Golden Rule Living, keeping God’s commandments is at the center of our lives.  Yesterday my post covered J-O-Y ... Jesus first, Yourself last and Others in between.  I think that's a great way to look at it, but let's consider this on a deeper level.

I first read of this concept in Glenn & Cindy Colley's book "Your Mama Don't Dance" and it has stuck with me, and I love to share it with others!  Some people look at their lives as a pie – with God, family, work, friends, etc. each being a piece of the pie.  The more things we get into our lives, the smaller the pieces of pie are.   In actuality, that keeps God out of our family, God out of work, God out of our playtime.  When we think of our life as an old-fashioned wagon wheel, vs. a pie things get into better perspective.  If God is at the center – He is the hub of our wagon wheel and all parts of our lives are tied to that center.  No part moves without the center and there is no facet of my existence left unaffected by my faith.  God is in my decisions of how I behave at work, God is in my decisions on how I live my marriage, how I interact with my children, neighbors, friends, etc.  We will be interacting with everyone using the Golden Rule and with God in control!

We want to keep God first in our lives, and that starts with keeping His commandements.  If you're looking for a way to deeper study the Bible, you can join me and other ladies across the United States who are participating in a Digging Deeper Study featured in the blog - Bless Your Heart http://cindycolley.blogspot.com
In the post from Thursday, August 25th  you can read about digging for the meat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment