Monday, September 16, 2013

Ms. Mildred Cookies

About 2 weeks ago, a wonderful Christian woman lost her battle against pancreatic cancer. However, she won her crown of righteousness for fighting that good fight on this earth (2 Timothy 4:7).

Mildred Everson was a lot of things to a lot of different people.  For our family, Mildred was a wonderful Bible class teacher, great cook, fellow Andy Griffith enthusiast and dear friend.  She was a Titus 2 older woman, Mildred could admonish and exhort quite well and was an example in all areas as she taught by example to "love their husbands, love their children, be discreet, chaste,  homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed."  (Titus 2:3-5)

Sunday, as I was teaching Bible class, I noticed that 2 or 3 items I was using were directly influenced by Mildred.  The children love to sing "What I'm Going to Be, When I Grow Up" and we stress how we can be a Christian firefighter, and a Christian mother, or a Christian soldier, and how we become a Christian.  Psalm 23 can be easily taught to even 4 year olds by using her simple stick figure drawings on flash cards.  I know that my own children learned a lot sitting in her classroom over the years and I grew as a Bible class teacher as well from observing her. 

 Food and hospitality are probably 2 things that will never be forgotten about Mildred.  She was well known for her dinners that she would prepare for visiting preachers.  Meals were simple, but oh so good.  I remember asking her one time how she made her potato salad.  She was embarassed to share the simple, easy way she made the sauce but now as I mix those 2 "secret" ingredients together until I get just the right shade of yellow I'm thankful she wasn't unwilling to share.

As I remember Mildred, I also recall what she would say whenever you thanked her for something she had done.  She'd simply say "pass it on."  Passing on good works is an important part of living a life centered around Christ.  Whenever we prepare a meal for someone, or open up our homes to them we are showing our Christian light and passing it on is what it's all about, right?

Now, back to the title of this blog post - "Ms. Mildred Cookies".  What are those, you ask?  They are a light, sort of fluffy chocolate chip cookie that Mildred was known for making.  Her grandchildren loved them, as did my own children.  My 17 year old asked me to make him some today, so I did.  I also thought it would be nice for me to pass on her recipe for them so you could make some too.

Ms. Mildred Cookies
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
3 eggs
2 sticks butter
3 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup warm water
4 tsp vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugars.  Add eggs - beat well - at least 5 minutes.  Add vanilla.  Mix dry ingredients together.  Add 1/2 of dry ingredients - mix.  Add water and mix.  Add rest of dry ingredients - mix well.  Stir in chocolate chips.
Drop on parchment paper lined cookie sheet (or well greased).  Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.  Remove immediately to cooling racks.  Store in air-tight container once cooled, and layer with wax paper or parchment.  




No comments:

Post a Comment