Friday, February 17, 2012

Doing the "hard" things ...



Wow, it's been a while since I've blogged! Life's been busy, and I had a nasty bug not once, but twice! But, I'm back :)

I often come upon devotional ideas or an idea for writing an article by hearing or reading something that sticks with me. I’ll often toss around something said or a scripture for quite a while before I can move on to the next thing! I’m sure many of us are like that as well. In reading the book of Titus, I came upon a verse that really made me think! 

I’m not going to tell you what it is just yet. I’ll get there in a minute.

Psalm 37:3

    Trust in the Lord, and do good;

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good;

Hebrews 13:16

  But do not forget to do good and to share, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased. 

1 Peter 3:17

  For it is better, if it is the will of God, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.

2 Thessalonians 3:13

  But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary in doing good.

Galatians 6:9

   And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. 


We can see in these verses that we are to do good, we are to learn to do good and that we’re not to grow weary of doing good. So here’s my first question of the day! 


What have you done this week that could be considered GOOD?

Okay – now some more verses …

Luke 6:33

    And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same.
 
Galatians 6:9 & 10

   And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.

Hmmm, so it’s not just enough to do good to those who do good to you … and we’re especially supposed to do good to our fellow Christians.

So, here’s another question for you …

What good thing have you done this week, specifically for another Christian?
Here’s some more food for thought …

John 15:12

  This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.

John 13:34-35

    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. [35] By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

1 John 4:7

    Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.

Okay – now for that verse in Titus that has stuck in my mind!

Titus 2:15

   Speak these things, exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one despise you. 

Okay, let’s talk this through. I’m supposed to be doing good – to all people, but especially to my fellow Christians. I’m also supposed to love – especially my fellow Christians. I’m supposed to speak, exhort & rebuke AND let no one despise me? 

But what if I do all of these things? What if I’m doing good, loving as I should, and someone still despises me? What if I’m doing good, loving as I should, and a fellow Christian despises me? I know that I have fellow Christians who despise me … do you? Isn’t this sad?
Luke 6:35

    But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil.

Matthew 5:44 
    But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you.

We don't like the idea of someone not liking us, but we can't control them. We can control ourselves, and our responses to them.  If we are focusing on the golden rule and our behaviors we can learn to do all of these things commanded of us. 

I want each of us to consider these scriptures this coming week. Study them and apply them to our lives. Make the changes necessary and be going about doing good to all but especially to our brother’s & sisters in Christ. Let’s show our love to everyone, but especially to our brother’s & sisters in Christ. Let’s be the church Christ wants us to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment